Saturday, June 4, 2011

Examine Yourself Before Others

   Good afternoon! Today we will be looking at the parable in Luke 6:41-42 and the meaning behind it. Luke 6:41-42 says
 41 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
1. The meaning ~ We all know a christian like the men in this parable. Parables are often told as stories but can be related to a real life situation. This parable speaks of a person who will point out a very small sin in another person's life but fails to notice the giant unforgiven sin in there own life. Admit it, it is easier to pick faults out in other people rather than ourselves. You may sin the same sin but we are reluctant to examine our own lives and faults.
2. Don't misunderstand what God is telling us ~ This parable does not mean to not point out sins and a person's need to get it right. It just means we need to examine ourselves before we do so. I have plenty of posts that I have gotten about half way through but I did not post because I was not ready. I do not post on this website to change others. If it does, praise the Lord but when I make a new blog post I am straightening out myself. I didn't have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ for a while and yes I did give up on God once and that is why I posted those blogs!
3. This is a visually understandable parable ~ Jesus tries to make it simple for us in this parable. Think about a speck of saw dust in someone's eye. Now think about a plank in someone's eye. Do you see the obvious difference? 
4. Other lessons learned by this passage ~ Jesus shows us the factor of hypocrisy as being a problem. I write blogs and I make sure to enforce them in my daily life. I would not write "Obey your parents" and then not obey my parents. I would then become a hypocrite. We  should not point out faults in others yet not notice our own! He also doesn't want us to judge. Only God knows their heart and we are wrong to jump to conclusions. Guilty of any of these sins? I know I am. Get your heart right with God. Before I posted this I prayed to God and asked Him that His will be done and to prepare me for this passage. I always do, and I hope this will bless you as much as it has blessed me.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment